This is really one of the most important decisions you will make in your life. Your school years are the best chance for you to find and take advantage of every opportunity to learn about yourself and your abilities and explore career options.
Ask questions about jobs and read about them. Research different jobs and careers so that you are aware of all that exist. Find out about the kind of training that is required and the availability of jobs in a variety of fields. Start with your interests and then think about possible work options. Use the following tools to help you identify your career interests.
If you are unsure of the type of career that you are interested in then, you are not ready to begin job search. What follows is a self-assessment tool designed to help you identify your skills, abilities and what’s important for you in the career path you choose.
1. List any and all career possibilities that you have considered in the past year
2. Check any of the following that describe things you like.
Rules and regulations
Being around people
Working with my hands
Research, finding out things
Contributing to the world
Working outdoors, not indoors
Put things in order
Dealing with machines
Performing in front of people
Working with “ fine print” details
Teaching others new things
Selling things or ideas
Dealing with data, numbers
Figuring out how things work
Meeting new people
Getting my hands dirty
Making beautiful things or make things beautiful
Building /constructing things
You may also want to visit career choice websites and take the tests provided.
3. Highlight the 2- 5 ideal situations which will be important to you in a career.
Independence, making my own decisions
Variety every day
To not have any unfinished work
To be done every day when leaving work
Adequate time to be a parent
Predictability, knowing what to expect
Living close to my extended family
Belonging to a group
Rewards for achievement
Guidance from others
Adventure and excitement
Being the centre of attention
Advancement, going up the career ladder
An urban setting
Teamwork, working in a group
Contact with people
Many things happening at once
Being in charge
A quiet, calm environment
Now consider the following:
4. Do your responses for #2 and #3 match the careers you listed in #1?
5. How firm is your career direction right now?
6. Are you listening mostly to yourself or to others regarding career possibilities? Who is influencing your ideas?
7. What kind of lifestyle would you like to have as an adult (consider income level, possessions, recreation, location etc)?
8. Does your lifestyle description for #7 match any of the career possibilities in #1?