Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Folic Acid & Prevention of Neural Tube Defects > General Discussions

Old 08-02-2014, 03:49 AM

Default alternatives to big vitamin pills?

What can one do if they don't like swallowing large pills? Is there an alternative for vitamin pills with folic acid?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Unfortunately you must swallow those large pills that contain folic acid or either eat food that are rich in vitamin B9.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyleans View Post
What can one do if they don't like swallowing large pills? Is there an alternative for vitamin pills with folic acid?
If you have a pill cutter you can use that to make the swallowing easier. I would just have water at the ready to swallow the pill if you don't have a pill cutter.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 AM

Another option are gummy vitamins. They are chewable (like gummy bears) and come in a variety of flavors. They taste good (almost like candy) and are a good option if you have trouble swallowing pills.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmy View Post
Another option are gummy vitamins. They are chewable (like gummy bears) and come in a variety of flavors. They taste good (almost like candy) and are a good option if you have trouble swallowing pills.
Those gummy vitamins are good. I know they have chewable vitamins in Walmart for like $11 or something. I would like to get them often but don't have that much of a incentive to get them due to the price.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Well I guess that it's not a bad idea to get those if you can't swallow big pills. I didn't think about them in the first place.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I use these. They actually taste quite good - so if you want to encourage a child to take them, you will get a much better response than you would if you wanted them to take pills. There are all different types of these vitamins available, and you should find that it can help you simply build up a store of the vitamins that you're lacking at the moment.

It is also a good idea if you are targeting specific vitamins to have a bit of research around which foods they're found in and try to include these in your diet. Supplements are great, but I am still a strong believer that there is nothing like the real thing!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Default vitamins in other forms.

There are vitamins in other forms. My son takes liquid vitamins (he is an infant).
They smell nasty! But he needs them.
There is also powdered vitamins you an mix in juice or milkshakes.
I think a company called All One would have this, or check amazon for powdered vitamins.
They also have them at health food stores.
Gummies are another option (that is what I am on).
However, gummies don't have iron in them, so you would have to take iron separately, or eat a lot of spinach/leafy greens or red meats to make up the iron.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Honestly to me i believe the best alternative to big vitamin pills is simply to take lots of natural occurring pills. I have always been a fan of doing things naturally and for me that is how it has always worked for me. Some might argue that this pills have there advantages but for me going natural is the best.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:01 PM

I was just going to suggest gummies but I can see that it has been done already. I love gummies and they are all I take. I dont care if anyone thinks its childish. Gummies are delicious, so don't be tempted to take more than the daily required dose, . They are not sweets. These are perfect for kids as well.