Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Folic Acid & Prevention of Neural Tube Defects > General Discussions

Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Default When to administer Folic acid

My husband and I are trying to conceive a child at the moment. How early should I be taking folic acid?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 AM

Now. The neural tube undergoes formation before you even know you are pregnant. In order to ensure you have the best chances for avoiding spina bifida and other neural tube defects is to ensure that you have plenty of folic acid on board before you even need it. Start eating folic acid rich foods like oatmeal and such and even start taking a multivitamin supplement. This way you can ensure that you have enough folic acid in your body to support health neural tube formation before you even get pregnant.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default When to take folic acid

If you are planning a pregnancy, it is recommended that a woman take at least 0.4 mg of folic acid daily for at least 3 months prior to conception and during the first trimester. For more details, please visit our website at www.folicacid.ca
Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 PM

As the user above me said, you should do it as soon as possible. Don't delay it, since it isn't recommended, nor healthy!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 PM

You should do it as soon at it is possible. If you're not sure what food contains folic acid you should read my topic: "Food that contains folic acid."
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 AM

The earlier he has the folic acid the better. You do not want his neural tubes to be undeveloped. I mean what is his diet like? Does he eat any veggies?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit5500 View Post
The earlier he has the folic acid the better. You do not want his neural tubes to be undeveloped. I mean what is his diet like? Does he eat any veggies?
It's her that has Spina Bifida not her husband.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:27 PM

Thats so sad to hear.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 AM

How are you feeling right now with your decision taking folic acid? You just need to eat some collard greens, string beans, and fruits. I have not had collard greens in a long while so I am hoping my moms makes some LOL.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasparker View Post
Now. The neural tube undergoes formation before you even know you are pregnant. In order to ensure you have the best chances for avoiding spina bifida and other neural tube defects is to ensure that you have plenty of folic acid on board before you even need it. Start eating folic acid rich foods like oatmeal and such and even start taking a multivitamin supplement. This way you can ensure that you have enough folic acid in your body to support health neural tube formation before you even get pregnant.

this is some very interesting information you have put forward here i will try to put it into consideration.