Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Spina Bifida Community > Connect with others

Old 02-13-2014, 06:20 PM

Default Spina Bifida and Osteoporosis

Hello, my soon to be son, we are in the process of adopting, has just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. He is six!!! Does anyone have any experience with this? Or advice? Thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 AM

Not directly, but I have heard of this. Is he under the care of a regular physician? If so, I can only imagine that he's on a calcium supplement to help slow down the progression of the disease. I don't think that osteoporosis is reversable, but you can slow it down. I wonder what the prognosis is for someone who develops this so young in life?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Hi. We are under the care of the Spina Bifida clinic at McMaster. He had a bone scan and blood work done about three weeks ago and we are awaiting results and what the next plan of action is. I too, would like to know the prognosis. What does this mean down the road. I hate to admit, that I am still learning so much about SB, Hydro, Chari and now osteoporosis. We have had Ethan for exactly one year and one week today. He's gone through a lot in his six years of life. Im afraid to ask the outcome and even life expectancy. Is that appropriate....I don't know.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Here's some advice
People with Spina Bifida are at higher risk for getting Osteoporosis.

What causes Osteoporosis?
The normal bone cycle is that old bone breaks down and is replaced with new bone. Osteoporosis creates an imbalance in this rebuilding cycle – old bone breaks down but new bone does not form. For women, this process speeds up after menopause. For both men and women, as we age beyond 40 or 50 years old, our bones gradually lose their density. One in two women and one in four men over the age of 50 in the U.S. will break a bone due to Osteoporosis.

How can Osteoporosis be treated?
There are medications that effectively preserve or maintain bone density, especially during menopause — and decrease the risk of breaking a bone as a result of osteoporosis. They are most effective when taken before Osteopenia becomes Osteoporosis however. For that reason, early discussion with your doctor is important.

For more information:

SB University session on Nutrition
Insights article “Osteoporosis and me”
The National Osteoporosis Foundation, 1150 17th St NW, Ste. 850, Washington, D.C.,20036; 1 800 231 4222, http://www.nof.org/node/150

Read the whole article at:
http://www.spinabifidaassociation.or...teoporosis.htm

Hope this helps and I wish you luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Osteoporosis is a progressive bone disease that is characterized by a decrease in bone mass and density which can lead to an increased risk of fracture.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM

I am new to learning about SB and did not know that osteoporosis impacted those with SB. Is their an age range for this? My friend's daughter will be six in a few months and I was wondering if she should be tested.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM

I think he just needs to have lots of calcium and potassium in his system. I don't know if he is on any medication but if not go see a physician.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM

It is unusual for a child of that age to have osteoporosis, however it doesn't mean that it never happens, as you have now unfortunately had to find out. As other people have mentioned, sadly the condition cannot be reversed, but there are things that you can change in his diet to make sure that things do not progress faster than absolutely necessary. Calcium is important, and regular gentle exercise can help also. I wish you the best of luck here; you could make a huge difference in this child's life.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Six years old with osteoporosis that just ruined his life. Hope he gets better soon.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:50 AM

Hello Profit5500....could you please elaborate.