Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 AM

Default Bladder Incontinence

Hello

My son has SB, but only his bowels and bladder were affected. He is 21 years old and suffers from urine incontinence. I was wondering if anyone on here had an artificial sphincter put in, and how well it works, or if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks.

Kelly
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM

My young cousin has this also and he finds it troubling at times. He uses a artificial sphincter. He complains often. We just try our best to let him know he is loved and is not alone in this. We put him in a support group with some other children, who are also going through this. We find that he is in better spirits since joining the group. He feels that he not different anymore and is more at peace with himself.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:26 PM

Wow...I had no idea that an artificial sphincter was even possible. That just goes to show that the advances in medicine are truly amazing. Of course, it doesn't seem to be a perfect solution, but as children grow and become more socially aware that they are different, these can offer a viable solution to embarassing accidents and having to wear diapers or other incontinence products.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly View Post
Hello

My son has SB, but only his bowels and bladder were affected. He is 21 years old and suffers from urine incontinence. I was wondering if anyone on here had an artificial sphincter put in, and how well it works, or if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks.

Kelly
I have never heard of an artificial sphincter! that is incredible, I guess everyday we learn something new, I guess medical science is getting better, that is an owesome idea.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hello

Kelly
Like others I have never heard of the artificial sphincter you are writing about, but this only demonstrates the progress in medicine. Maybe a good solution would be to read about it on the Internet? Because I doubt that anybody even heard of such thing.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 PM

I guess artificial sphincter is suppose to make it easier for people to unrinate. I never seen one in my life so this is also new to me too. I am telling you this site should have a category dedicated to learning something new in the medical field.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM

I had never heard of the artificial sphincter either and it is amazing the advances that medical technology has made. I am definitely going to do some further reading on the internet to see what this device is all about and how it works.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Hello

Kelly
There's a new medication called Myrbetriq for bladder incontinence. I've been on it for a little over 3 months. At first I found little improvement but since increasing the dose to 2 pills, things have begun to improve. I'm also going to Pelvic Support Physio where I have been given some helpful suggestions.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 AM

First there is a artificial sphincter and now medication to improve bladder incontinence. You pop two pills and nothing else that sounds easier then a artificial sphincter you have to wear in you.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:27 AM

I don't actually have experience of it, however I would suggest that you talk closely with your medical team to see what they would recommend. Bladder incontinence can be inconvenient and embarrassing, particularly for a young adult, and in my opinion I believe that anything is worth a try if it might make things a little bit easier for him, at least. In the meantime, do you have any coping strategies? For example, do you find that there are certain drinks that can set off problems more than others? Have you made a liquids diary to try and figure this out? It might be a good thing to do. I know you won't be able to solve the problem completely by doing this, but you could find that you can ease things at least a little.