Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:49 PM
Banned

Default Still looking for answers

I have a 8 year old boy that had a VP Shunt put in a 7 months, he has never had any revisions or infections. Is this normal or maybe he doesn't need the shunt.* We go to Sick Kids once a year for a check up* but we are in and out in 10 minutes.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:29 PM
keaner

Hi, Pamela<br> <br> It sounds like your son is doing great! His shunt is probably working great and that could be why your appointments are so short, although I'm not a doctor and can't say for sure. <br> <br> It really is o.k. that things are working out. However, you can't assume that the shunt isn't needed any longer, just that it is probably doing it's job well.<br> <br> Steve Kean<br> Programs and Services Coordinator<br> SBHAO
Old 06-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Banned

Hi Pamela,

I agree with Steve. Your appointments are basically so short because your son is doing great! Like Steve said you can't assume that the shunt isn't needed any longer. I had a broken shunt for a few years and was doing fine without it, but had to get it fixed up back in September.

Take care. Hope this answers your question.

Matt

Old 06-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Banned

Thanks for answering some of my questions,*I hope that he keeps doing well.

I just get pretty scared with every bump and bruise, but boys will be boys.

Thanks again

Old 08-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Banned

Hi Pamela. My daughter is 6 right now and has had a VP shunt since 11 days after birth. We have had no problems with it so far (knock on wood). Sometimes they work so well that you don't need revisions or very lengthy checkup.

Patricia Bray

Old 08-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Banned

Hi everyone! My daughter has SB and H and went fo 11 years before requiring a shunt revision. *The tubing and pump parts become*brittle and are more likely to break the older they are. Blockages*can also happen for a variety of reasons. We all keep the possibility of something going wrong in the back of our minds. It is one of the stresses we have to live with, however*I try to live as positively as I can and my daughter takes many risks (I try to instill some sense of safety) just like other kids. I want her life to be rich not to be hampered by barriers.