Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 10-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Banned

Default Learning Problems

*Has anyone* heard of learning problems that are related to someone having hydro.* If* you put something in to someones brain would there not be some type of damage done.* My son has hydro and he is having alot of problems at school.* Is there some place I can get him some help?* Talking to his doctor at sick kids didn't help he said he never heard of any problems.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:32 PM
happy68

Hello Pam,

Not sure how old your son is. But my son is now 15 and has had a difficult time learning in school since day 1. It is part of the Hydocephalus. My son has a hard time concentrating and has a very short attention span. Very hard to keep him on task. To proove this to the doctors and teachers we had him tested to see what level he was at in school. This test prooved that he was almost 3 years behind in his schooling. He has had a teachers Aid with him now for many years to help him keep up with his school work.

I would say if you didnt get any where with his doctors trying talking to the school he attends to see if they can guide you into the right direction to get him some extra help at school. Or maybe even the Treatment centre in Toronto.

Well hope this helps.

Keep in Touch,

Renee Jubenville

Old 10-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Banned

Thanks for answering some of my questions.* My son is 9 years old and has the same problems.* All of the information I got said he would have problems but the doctor at sick kids said that he had never heard of any.* Maybe I should seen the info pack to him.* My son was tested at school, the only thing that the did for him was to take him out of the class room for tests, and ease up his homework load very slightly.* It still takes us 2-3 hours every night and he is only in grade four.* Thank for your help.* Pam
Old 12-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

Hi

My name is Rose i am 26 yrs with hdyro.* I had problems at schools, with the learning, some things i couldn't get (math was the big one, which is still a problem).* I had a teachers aid with me in class until grade 6, then for extra help i went to the resourse centre, where they helped me with my school work, and where i was able to do tests/exams, since i needed more time to do them - which is part of the hydro.

I would suggest also talking with his teachers, and even the principal, they will be able to suggest something, and get help, before he gets to high grades and the work gets harder.*

I also find it strange that the dr's at sick kids doesn't know anything about the hydro - the effects on it?* strange,

hope this helps

Old 12-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Banned

Hi,*

I am new to this on line, but can probably be of some help.* My daughter has hydro*and is now 28 years old.* She also lost* most her sight at age 5.* She also has always*had learning disablities in Math.* I fought and got her the help that she needed.* She is now married and doing fairly well.

I was a stay at home Mom with her and went to college and earned my degree is special education.* This is a struggle and the problem is not one that all Dr.'s are familiar with.* I am still finding that some people are still afraid of her.* Including some teachers.* I had some leverage since I was also an educator, but make sure that you make sure that all schools follow the IEP for the learning disabled child.* It is the law.

I just wanted to let you know that they can make it, but it is a daily struggle.**I can honestly say the struggle was well worth it.*

I hope that this will give you the strength to continue on.

Deb Greenman*

Old 12-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Banned

Not uncommon to have learning problems with hydro, especially with multiple shunt revisions.* I've been lucky, 2 replacements and no issues. But have friends with hydro who definitely have learning issues, particularly with math.* Each is different, take it one step at a time and if there is a problem, don't force the issue, be thankful for what your son can do.

Peter

Old 06-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned

Pam,

Try talking to the child development centre at Sick Kids or* neuropsychologists, *Maureen Dennis and Marcia Barnes.* Psychologists, and particularly neuropsychologists are the best individuals for diagnosing any learning difficulties which may be evident in a child with hydrocephalus.* Both these ladies have spent a career studying this issue as well as writing numerous papers and chapters in books on it.* They have numerous studies such as the SANDI and DANDI projects which SBHAO lists under research on their site.* Sometimes it just depends on who you ask.* Learning issues should always be addressed by neuropsychologists who have specific tests which are designed to identify areas of the brain which may have a weakness, and they can help parents design strategies for successful learning, and coping.

Lauren

Old 07-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Banned

Hi im Leepy Lee When I was growing up I had a lot of learning diifficulties.... Maths was bad and so was reading and spelling. Its un fortunate that a lot of people like us <br> seem to all suffer from the same thing. but when I got older i learned to speak and write Spanish and this has helped me a lot. So take courage my friend.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

Hi is there anyone in this group from Aus?<br> I'm 40 now and the only people I met with<br> hydro are the people I was in hospital with<br> for a long time it felt like I was <br> the only one with this problem even though<br> that,thats not the case I just felt that way<br> For the longest time I've been angary because<br> of the hydro I feel like I've always been a step<br> behind or the odd one out. I am in denial about<br> it and I hate my shunt because I dont feel <br> like people look at me in a normal way. You cant<br> really tell that theres anything wrong except after talking <br> to me for a while people have noticed Im a fraction slow!<br>
Old 07-20-2005, 02:34 AM
grandma

I am new to this. My grandson who is 10 months old now was born with hydro. He has it only on his left side. The doctor wants to do something besides a shunt. I will know more about it when we hear from the doctor next week.

Do babies have a lot of ear infections with hydro? And do they spit up a lot?

I let you know what the doctor says and find out what kind of surgery he wants to do.