Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Hydrocephalus Community > Connect with others

Old 03-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Elisabeth

Default Precocious puberty - problems also for yo

My daughter with Cerebral Palcy developed Hydrocephalus at the age of 17. She has had hugh problems with the shunt which has been changed 9 times! She is now 24 years of age. After Hydrosephalus was discovered and dealt with - her periods were disturbed, she got a lot of pimples, hair in her face and started to put on weight - mainly arond her hips. She is a University student and feels terrible about it - on top of everything else. Are there parents or people with Hydrosephalus out there who have similar experiences? How to attac the problem?

Elisabeth

Old 04-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

Default Precocious puberty - problems also for yo

Hello Elisabeth;

I am a thirty something Canadian woman who was born with hydrocephalus and developed CP as a result. I went through precocious puberty -began at age 9 and have had trouble with weight gain since as well as the acne and since thirty whiskers....ugh. The first thing for your daughter to remember she is not more different or strange or somehow 'wrong' because of these challenges...if she were the beauty industry wouldn't be making a gazillion dollars a year!*

Weight gain, particularly among university women is nothing new - I joke that I have about ten pounds for every year of post secondary education...As students, we sit and take classes, we sit and study and then we go to bed exhausted, get up exhausted and*do the same thing all over again. *We need to schedule* enjoyable physical activity just like we do our study. Take time everyday to do something that makes you feel good, swim, walk the dog, go bowling. The important thing is it shouldn't be something that hurts, feels like therapy or more work. University is already enough work.

You might also want to consult with a nutritionist about your eating preferences and see if there are some things you might think about eating differently. I'm of German descent and I love my chocolate and summer sausage and cake, but I have to really think about when in the day I eat them and why. If I'm angry or depressed, stressed or anxious, I have to make a conscious choice to eat fruit or vegetables, something that gives me a boost rather than the let down you get with sugar intake. And given my addiction that's not easy, but I do it because I value my health.

As for the acne, find a good skin care system and use it faithfully-remember you're doing this for yourself not anyone else. You have a right to feel good about yourself just the way you are. If you decide to change something about yourself*that's your privelege not your obiligation. Same for the facial hair, consult an esthetician about the best products, tools available in your area.

Remember, these things all have to do with wacky hormones, and every woman has them over her lifetime not just those of us with hydrocephalus!

Hope this helps.