Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

Default How long did your V-A shunt function?

Good day, * I have had thirteen surgeries this year: 11 shunt revisions and twice the distal catheter was externalized.*As of the age of four months and a half, until*December 22nd, 2003, I had a V-P shunt. Then, the neurosurgeon inserted a V-A shunt. Since then, I have had one severe headache, which was relieved with steroids. I re-entered college today and it feels wonderful, except for the*incision on my head that people keep staring at! * I was wondering if a V-A shunt functions for a shorter period of time than a V-P shunt?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:28 AM
Banned

Hi ....Bryan is 11 months old, and he has VP shunt....do you know the difference between Vp and VA shunt ?<BR>Lorena
Old 06-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

Dear Lorena,

A V-A shunt goes from the head to the heart and a V-P shunt goes from the head to the abdomen. I had a V-P shunt for nineteen years, until December 22nd, 2003. I would like to know about Bryan's situation, if you want and when you have a chance.

Take care,

Old 09-01-2004, 03:01 AM
Cheryl

*I have a son who is 15. He has been through 21 surgerys* getting ready for #22, he has a va shunt . I was told 3 years ago that Paul had 1-5 years . He losses 1liter of spinal fluid a day it is alot for the heart to handle.I try to find information on va shunts but I feel it is limted.(danger signs to watch for.Thank you for listening
Old 09-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

Hi Cheryl,

I have not posted in a very long time because I*spent most of the summer*in the hospital. My last shunt revision took place on September 10th, number 24 within the past eighteen months. The V-A shunt was removed. I now have two ventricular catheters linked by one distal catheter that goes into my abdomen. So, I have been headache-free for four days now and hope it will last.

I was wondering how your son is doing?*I also find that there is very little information on V-A shunts. I am a member of a group called "Living with Hydrocephalus" and there is a list of books and websites where you can find information on shunts. You should take a look at it. The website to this group is <a target="_blank" href= "http://groups.msn.com/LivingwithHydrocephalus">http://groups.msn.com/LivingwithHydrocephalus</A>*.

Take care,

Old 12-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

Hi I have a VP shunt and have had it for a while without many problems. It sounds like you have had it pretty rough. Tell me more about yourself.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
deborahann2001

Connected Quote: <I>Originally posted by Lorena on 17*June*2004</I> Hi ....Bryan is 11 months old, and he has VP shunt....do you know the difference between Vp and VA shunt ?<BR>Lorena

Hi Lorena my name is Deborah. I am from Ottawa Ontario Canada. I am a new member to this messageboard. I just joined a few moments ago. I saw your question about what is the difference between a VA Shunt and a VP Shunt. Well the difference is that the VA Shunt goes to the heart and the VP Shunt goes to the belly button or navel. Right now I have the VA Shunt and I am going in for surgery in 2 wks to have a shunt revision and it will be the VP Shunt that will be inserted.

Deborah

<BR>
Old 09-18-2009, 12:36 AM
neilsend

Cool How long did your V-A shunt function

I have a V-P shunt, I have had it since July 2008, it has a delta valve on it, they can adjust it from the outside! My shunt is working fine so they say, but my headaches are severe, they just started in June of 2009! I am on Amitriptyline 50 mg and Naprox 500 mg per day, which is still not helping my headaches,along with acupuncture! Take Care-Donna