Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Amnada

Default Anyone is Durham?

Hi,
I am 23 weeks pregnant and found out 2 weeks ago that my son (Due Nov) has open spina bifida - lower lumbar/upper sacrum, Chiari malformation, no hydro yet.
I have been to all the doctors and tests that have been offered, but I would like to know if there are any people in the area. I live in North Oshawa, and go downtown Toronto to Sick Kids and Mt Sinai. Is there anyone out there living in Durham. I am looking for some support of someone who has been there.
I also have a 16 month old daughter and I am a little worried about how this will affect her once the new baby is born.
Anyone have any words of wisdom?
Amanda
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Amnada

Just an update....

Nickolas was born November 13 and is doing good. His lesion is at S1 and he has a VP shunt. He has good movement of his ankles. I cath him once a day. We will be going to the spina bifida clinic at Bloorview Kids Rehab.
Anyone in the area?

Amanda
Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnada View Post
Just an update....

Nickolas was born November 13 and is doing good. His lesion is at S1 and he has a VP shunt. He has good movement of his ankles. I cath him once a day. We will be going to the spina bifida clinic at Bloorview Kids Rehab.
Anyone in the area?

Amanda
I used to live in North Carolina but moved to New York about a year and a half ago. I am so happy for you and Nickolas. We send good karma his way as well as in your direction. I have heard excellent things about the Bloorview Kids Rehab. They have a good reputation in the area. I still have family in the Durham area and they speak highly of the staff there.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 AM

I'm not far from you and I know that there's a group over on meetup.com which has a few people with child sufferers. It may be worth your time to check it out and see who's local in the area and still active in the group!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM

I am not near Durham now...I was a lot closer a few months ago. I don't have a child with SB, though my nephew has hydro and I suspect his has SB. I am sorry. I wish there was a way to meet up, but I have moved to Alabama for work . Maybe you can start a support group in your area if there isn't one already formed.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Hey Amanda!
Congratulations on Nickolas. He must be a special gift for you. Sadly I don't live in Durham or near even it, but I wish you luck and take care.