Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 09-27-2003, 02:08 AM
Banned

Default Orbis-Sigma valve

To all readers,

I had my last shunt revision on September 22nd, 2003. The neurosurgeon inserted an Orbis-Sigma valve, one that is flow regulated. This means that the pressure varies, although the flow always remains constant. It is not a valve that is used on children because of its high pressure range. Approximately 36 hours after the surgery, the postural headaches returned. Does it take time for a person to adapt his or herself to this valve?*A longer period of time than with other types of valves? The reason why this valve was used in my case is because the doctor has tried four types of valves in six months, some of which were tried out twice.

Thank you to everyone who will take the time to read and/or respond to this post. (People who do not know what has happened in the past six months should read the post which is titled "Multiple Shunt Revisions".)

Old 10-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Banned

Default Orbis-Sigma valve

Hi there,

Wow, that seems like a lot of work.* I never knew there was so much involved in shunts and the like.* Be glad that at least you have an idea of how the shunt works.* I was kind of left in the dark about my situation.* I was born with hydrocephalus, had a shunt inserted at 6 months and a revision/extension at 13yrs old.* It's been 8 years and everything is fine (knock on wood) but now I'm starting to get daily headaches that are a pain in the butt.* Look forward to talking with you*all (or anyone) later.