Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 AM
A&M05

Default Pregnancy question

my husband and i would like to start a family.* i have SB, he does not.* I quit smoking 3 weeks ago.* I have been told that I should wait for 3 months and continue taking my folic acid before getting preg. otherwise the risk of our baby being born with SB is heightened.* Does anyone have any info regarding this?*

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Women with compromised health or particular health conditions such as insulin dependent diabetes, clinically diagnosed obesity, those with a previous*pregnancy affected by neural tube defects(NTD) or*women*or their partner have a personal history of NTD*require increased dietary intake of folate-rich foods and daily supplementation, with multivitamins with 5 mg folic acid, beginning at least three months before conception and continuing until 10 to 12 weeks post conception. From 12 weeks post-conception and continuing throughout pregnancy and for four to six weeks after the baby is born (or as long as breastfeeding continues), supplementation should consist of a multivitamin with folic acid (0.4-1.0 mg).* Those that need to take a higher dose of folic acid should constult with their physician as 5mg dosages are available by prescription only.

<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">*

<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">SB&H Online Community Forum Administrator

Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM
A&M05

thanks for the reply. i have been taking a prescription of 5mg for over a year now.* should i still wait 3 mo's as i was a smoker?*

Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 AM

i would wait just to be safe as there seems to be some evidence of a link between smoking status and increased risk of NTD.<br> <br> sonia<br> mom to saffron (not quite 3 yrs old, SB L4ish) and baby #2 due april 14th
Old 09-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffsmom View Post
i would wait just to be safe as there seems to be some evidence of a link between smoking status and increased risk of NTD.<br> <br> sonia<br> mom to saffron (not quite 3 yrs old, SB L4ish) and baby #2 due april 14th
It can't hurt you to wait another 3 months, as saffi's mom said, there is an increased risk if you previously smoked.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Wait it will be worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M05 View Post
my husband and i would like to start a family.* i have SB, he does not.* I quit smoking 3 weeks ago.* I have been told that I should wait for 3 months and continue taking my folic acid before getting preg. otherwise the risk of our baby being born with SB is heightened.* Does anyone have any info regarding this?* <br/><br/>

HI I would wait and even with the smoking part, just to clear your system. At the present moment you are a hight risk to your unborn babies and your body needs to recover on all levels. As much as you might be in a hurry to be pregnant and be a mother, of which that is a wonderful thing but please be considerate to your husband and your unborn kid.

In a study in Australia a few years back, about women with SB getting pregnant. They showed positive results, where most of the births had low complication rates. Most of the women though had to give birth by ceasor but still those were healthy babies that were delivered. But part of the remarks did state clearly that your body, mind and soul needs to be ready. Also you need to take as much precautions in trying to make sure your baby is delivered safely.

Imagine when the kid is born and you are told that the complications or if they have something wrong that it was caused by your not wanting to wait. That is a burden that you will have to live with for the rest of your life and yes your husband wil resent you.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 PM

In a situation like this it is best to wait to try to ward of the possibility of this happening. I don't feel the risk is needed, I would
say to wait the 3 months to give yourself the chance to have a healthy delivery.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Where have you gotten this info come? It may be worth to consult a doctor before you change your routine, especially whilst pregnant. A quick appointment will answer any of your questions!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM

I don't have any scientific information about it, but I do know a little about genetics and know that if you have this condition, you have a higher risk of a baby having it, so you should do everything you can to ensure that you reduce your controllable risks. Stop smoking, begin taking folic acid and then wait a few weeks before you begin trying to get pregnant. You need to do everything you can to ensure that you give your baby the best chance at being born without this condition. Your doctor might treat you as a hgh risk pregnancy and monitor you more often becuase you have it.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:18 PM

You should just take into consideration the suggestions of your doctor and supplement your diet into folic acid as soon as it is possible.

Last edited by elmarianexx; 07-18-2014 at 04:18 PM.