Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Spina Bifida Community > Connect with others

Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Exercise

I like to go about 1/2 hour on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the recumbent bike @ our local YMCA. I also do a weight routine. I also enjoy a few minutes in the hot tub and/or sauna afterwards.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 AM

This may sound out there, but guided imagery can be something to try. It may seem far fetched though. With this method using the mind as your exercise tool is the key. You do a deep mediation or just focus intently until you connect with your body. Once you are in this state, then you focus on whatever exercise or movement that you want to employ. This can actually help with muscle memory, even if you are not as able bodied as others. This can be a added program to utilize while you continue your routine exercise.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 PM

I don't think that your suggestion is "out there". It's a start. For those looking to improve their bodies, they often have to improve their minds. I think that this is a great suggestion and definitely one that would be inspirational to take the next steps. Glad you brought this up as I had forgotten about stuff like this.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 PM

What types of exercise are possible with limited mobility?
It’s important to remember that any type of exercise will offer health benefits. Mobility issues inevitably make some types of exercise easier than others, but no matter your physical situation, you should aim to incorporate three different types of exercise into your routines:

Cardiovascular exercises that raise your heart rate and increase your endurance. These can include walking, running, cycling, dancing, tennis, swimming, water aerobics, or “aquajogging”. Many people with mobility issues find exercising in water especially beneficial as it supports the body and reduces the risk of muscle or joint discomfort. Even if you’re confined to a chair or wheelchair, it’s still possible to perform cardiovascular exercise.
Strength training exercises involve using weights or other resistance to build muscle and bone mass, improve balance, and prevent falls. If you have limited mobility in your legs, your focus will be on upper body strength training. Similarly, if you have a shoulder injury, for example, your focus will be more on strength training your legs and abs.
Flexibility exercises help enhance your range of motion, prevent injury, and reduce pain and stiffness. These may include stretching exercises and yoga. Even if you have limited mobility in your legs, for example, you may still benefit from stretches and flexibility exercises to prevent or delay further muscle atrophy.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infolady View Post
There are a variety of exercise videos on the market for individuals with limited mobility and flexibility. The Association has a variety of videos that can be borrowed from our Resource Centre lending library by calling 1-800-387-1575. We also have an array of articles on the subject.

You could also video Chair Aerobics for Everyone http://www.chairaerobics.com/Chair_A...e_-_Store.html
They have a variety of work-outs for all abilities.
Wow this would be very useful to recommend to other people. I do not have anyone wheelchair bound so the idea of fitness for wheelchair people is amazing.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 PM

Default Tricycle

Due to balance issues I can no longer ride a bike so my hubby bought me an adult tricycle. I of course wear a helmet, and just purchased a bike water bottle. I love riding around our neighbourhood. I get exercise, and fresh air!

Last edited by sweetcuz@hotmail.ca; 07-21-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 PM

I am trying to accumulate information for a friend's daughter concerning exercise. Yoga would be great for her but I don't think that it would interest her. Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty7 View Post
This may sound out there, but guided imagery can be something to try. It may seem far fetched though. With this method using the mind as your exercise tool is the key. You do a deep mediation or just focus intently until you connect with your body. Once you are in this state, then you focus on whatever exercise or movement that you want to employ. This can actually help with muscle memory, even if you are not as able bodied as others. This can be a added program to utilize while you continue your routine exercise.
Wow I never really thought of meditation to deal with the Spina Bifida. I usually just walk from my house to the store and have to come back home.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Pull ups & core movement will really help I think.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 PM

There are a variety of exercise videos on the market for individuals with limited mobility and flexibility. The Association has a variety of videos that can be borrowed from our Resource Centre lending library by calling 1-800-387-1575. We also have an array of articles on the subject.