Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Spina Bifida Community > Connect with others

Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Banned

Default excerise- what do you do?

Hiya

I am wondering what people do for keeping in shape.* I am wheelchair bound female, looking to improve my weight, and get in shape in the stomach, hopefully legs/thighs area.

Any ideas or suggestions?

PJJ

Old 06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default exercise

There are a variety of exercise videos on the market for individuals with limited mobility and flexibility. The Association has a variety of videos that can be borrowed from our Resource Centre lending library by calling 1-800-387-1575. We also have an array of articles on the subject.

You could also video Chair Aerobics for Everyone http://www.chairaerobics.com/Chair_A...e_-_Store.html
They have a variety of work-outs for all abilities.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Orensemes

Default excerise what do you do

Hello Lucia Im glad you feel better

I think this routine is a little bit too much...Heres an example of what I would do:

Monday: Dance class ballet. 1hr 30min.
Tuesday: Treadmill 1hr.
Wednesday: Stretching class 1 hr and Treadmill 30min
Thursday: Treadmill 1hr
Friday: Dance class ballet. 1hr 30min.
Saturday: Pilates 1hr OR Dance class hip hop 1hr

Good luck
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM
EmelineAdkinsonr

Default fish recipes

Took me time to read all the feedback, however I really loved the forum.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM

I tend to do a lot of stretching, especially before a workout and when I wake up. I'll do a lot of power walking and light jogging. You should try to play a sport like tennis or basketball. Those provide good workouts. Or take real long walks. Fresh air is great for the lungs and mind.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose2378 View Post
Hiya<br/><br/> I am wondering what people do for keeping in shape.* I am wheelchair bound female, looking to improve my weight, and get in shape in the stomach, hopefully legs/thighs area.<br/><br/> Any ideas or suggestions?<br/><br/> PJJ <br/><br/>
Have you thought of wheelchair yoga? This one is really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgkbkxIHUCM
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM

I think exercising is all about any movement that your body makes. Any form whether it just stretching, your legs, arms can be just as effective. I think in your case you need to do what will be more comfortable to you. Also try not to strain your self, remember you are not training the Paralympics here, so there is no need to strain your self, its all about your blood flowing.

Therefore I would suggest maybe for a month, 3-4 times a week, start by doing 20 minute stretches on your whole body starting from your head to your legs, see how it goes. Then after a month you can up the tempo a bit, more importantly you need to have fun whilst doing it, so that it can be effective and you will be able to maintain it. Remember strenuous exercise when you are still starting out, can quickly tire you and that call lead to a demotivation so be aware of that as well. Take it day by day!!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 PM

There are a lot of options for exercise. It is matter on what your comfort level is. You can do strength training, stretches, resistance work-outs,yoga. You have a huge variety of
options. It is just a matter of finding what works for you. Many exercise can be adapted for wheel chair individuals
Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 AM

A friend of mine used to do yoga 3 or 4 times a week to help with the pain in her back, she's told me quite often it's helped amazing amounts and really does recommend it to anyone else who's suffering. It may also be worth getting some light free weights and starting to do some work with those!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 AM

I also am a big fan of yoga. While I am not wheelchair bound, I try to restrict the amount of impact exercises I do. Yoga is a great way to stretch and build flexibility as well as muscle tone while staying in control of the exercises. You can ensure that you don't cause any damage to yourself and can work your way up slowly and carefully. And there are way more options with yoga than with other exercise routines. Good luck to you.