Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Hydrocephalus Community > Connect with others

Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Banned

Default Air Travel with Shunts

Hi Everyone.* I'm new here....

My daughter Alex developed hydro as a complication from meningitis.* After a failed thrird ventriculostomy, she was shunted at 6 months of age.* She is 13 months old now and doing fantastic.*

We are debating taking a trip to South America to visit family this xmas.* Its an 11-hr flight.* I've been doing some research online, and I've read that some people with shunts suffer from severe headaches, pain around the eyes, and even vomiting from the changes in pressure, especially upon landing.* Has anybody had any experience with this?*

I would love to hear your feedback.* I really don't know what to do about this one.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Banned

Hi there,

My daugher, 3, was shunted at 6 wks old.* We took her to Disney last year and flew.* She didn't seem to experience any discomfort at all from the cabin pressure.*

I was prepared with suckers just in case her ears bugged her during take-off and landing as they say "normal" children can be sensitive to that but she didn't even flinch so she didn't even have suckers or anything.

If you do go on your trip, I hope Alex fairs the same!* Glad to read that she is doing so well.

~Amy

P.S. We're going back to Disney this October -can't wait!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

Connected

To Hydromom:

If your daughter has a programmable shunt she should not go through the security check as it could mess up her numbers.

I couldn't believe when I saw your "handle" cause my daughter's "handle" is also Hydromom.* There is a Hydrocephalus Board that she has joined and she gets a lot of help with it.* If you would like the info let me know.* It is Hydrocephalus - Brain Talk Community.* Her son is Raffi and he was a premie and has had 10 surgeries since birth.* We are Canadian from Toronto. You would probably be quite interested in some of the things they say about hydrocephalus.*

Good luck.

Hydrograndma

Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Banned

Hello There!

Thank you for posting and getting back to me on this question.

Amy - I'm so glad you are planning another trip.* I have to say that because of your post we are more likely to "give it a try" and see what happens.

Hydrograndma - My daughter's shunt is not programable.* So I guess that's one less worry for now.* I would love to get the info for the board that your daughter has joined.* I'll have to use another "handle" besides Hydromom :-)* We are also form the Toronto area - Richmond Hill.* If you ever want to get together... just let me know!* Is Raffi being treated at Sick Kids?* Alex spent 3 months there so we know the neuro ward staff very well.* You might too! :-)

Again, thanks and please keep the comments coming.* I do try to check as often as I can.*

I will also keep you posted on what happens if we decide to take this trip.

Tanya (aka Hydromom)

Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 AM
grizz1y

Hey Tanya;<br> <br> I was shunted April 3, 2008 for Hydrocephalus. I am 48 year old male. Although My Neurosurgeon would not let me fly to Vegas on the 12th of April and suggested I still not fly to Los Angles on the 28th of April for a trip to Disneyland, (which I rejected his suggestion) The taking off and landing had no effect on my condition also the airport screening also had no effect ( I tought I wouild have to show all my paper work when the alarms went off but, No alarms or any detection whats so ever.<br> <br> Good luck with your journeys.<br> <br> Duncan
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

Connected

Hi Tanya - I guess you met up with Marilou at Sick Kids.* Raffi is still having some issues and Marilou, as usual, is fighting for his rights.* The hospital is bucking her a bit.* I hope your little one is doing well.* God love those kids.* They are so brave and so innocent.* Do they know how worried we get about them???*

I wish you all the luck in the world with your little one.

Jo (Hydrograndma)

Old 11-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Aembego

Ive talked with the Air France customer service and they said that any car seat that is approved for air travel and has a base of less than 41 cm will be allowed.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 AM
erwin.zeez

i really dont understand what you guys are saying and what are you discussing
can someone plz explain it to me
Old 06-01-2010, 04:35 PM
ritakane

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 PM

I think it simply depends on your child and what the doctor recommends. It's a scary thought, but if your child doesn't seem to have any sensitivities with travel then you might have more to worry about than if your child doesn't seem to experience any issues with his or her shunt. My nephew has never been on a plane, but I don't think that my brother would have any issues at all with putting him on a plane. He doesn't have a shunt as of yet, but he does experience headaches from time to time. Honestly, that would be a hard decision.