Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Folic Acid & Prevention of Neural Tube Defects > General Discussions

Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 PM

Given the number of foods - vegetables that do contain folic acid it seems that if you eat enough of those you should be doing well with it. I eat most of them and I have to say that I feel so much better because of it. Not a big vitamin taker so being able to eat it on a daily basis is a good thing.i
Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM

I'm not even sure about to measure my folic acid intake.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmae View Post
How do I actually know if I am taking in the needed amount of Folic acid? Is there a test I can take or something similar?
yes you can get tested to tell if your folic acid level is low or not.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 AM

I never thought about getting tested for the folic acid. I just don't want to deal with testing right now though. If I start to have any issues then I would report it.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 PM

Default See a GP

In such cases seeing a GP would be the safest option. I try not to self diagnose when it comes to such matters.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headmaster View Post
In such cases seeing a GP would be the safest option. I try not to self diagnose when it comes to such matters.
To me I just worry about what food I have to eat so its a done deal. Having enough folic acid in your body is just safe to have so you would not get spina bifida.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:15 PM

If you feel unwell you should always talk to your doctor, because it might not be anything to do with your folic acid levels at all - there are hundreds if not thousands of different chemicals that make up the body, and any bad level of any one of them might cause negative symptoms. However, if you are taking supplements and trying to eat a healthy diet of foods that you know are rich in folic acid then it is rather unlikely that you would have a problem with the levels in your system. Definitely get your symptoms checked out though, don't just try to explain them away, because that's not going to make them get any better.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takedon View Post
If you experience symptoms such as anemia and gastritis, you should probably check a doctor and get a real diagnosis.
i certainly agree with you on this anyway as this are some of the few symptoms that should serve as a red flag for anyone who is doubtful of whether they have sufficient folic acid in their system.