Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Folic Acid & Prevention of Neural Tube Defects > General Discussions

Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Default High risk pregnancies

How much folic acid do you take to help with the prevention of your child being born with spina bifida? do you try to incorporate a lot of foods with folate or do you do supplementation? How successful has it been in the prevention of this disease?

Last edited by misty7; 10-07-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM

My best friend, is now suffering the consequences of not getting enough folate--with her child now. She wishes she had been more vigilant in taking care of her health needs so that now her child would not be suffering. I try to be there for her as much as possible and let her I am not judging her. I am here to just be her friend and offer support.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM

Default Reply: High risk pregnancies

Experts on MayoClinic.com requires women to have a supplementation of at least 400 mcg of folic acid per day. The fact is the body does not absorb folate easily as compared to synthetic folic acid. Suggestion is to get a healthy diet that includes foods rich in folate or folic acide. Some of those foods that are recommended by experts include beans, citrus fruits and juices, eggs yoks, and vegetables.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Default Reply: High risk pregnancies

Experts on MayoClinic.com recoomend women to have daily supplement of 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid. The fact is the body does not absort folate easily as synthetic folic acid. Something to keep in mind is folic acid can be lised on food packages as folate, a natural form of folic acid found in food. Experts also recommend that women with pregnancies include a healthy diet of beans, citrus fruits and juices, egg yolks, and vegetables. The choice of eating foods with folic acid over supplementation would have to ask your doctor because there is no straight answers.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty7 View Post
How much folic acid do you take to help with the prevention of your child being born with spina bifida? do you try to incorporate a lot of foods with folate or do you do supplementation? How successful has it been in the prevention of this disease?
Pregnancy is a very sensitive time to a womens body. Folate also known as folic acid is needed at most even when you do not suffer from Spin Bifida. This vitamin B9 mineral is always recommended that you start taking it even 3 months before you plan on falling pregnant to get your body ready.

Pregnancy supplements and Vitamins are not to be missed as these contain a proper or recommended dose of folic acid. You can also supplement it with foods such as bananas, Yeast extract spread ( marmite), livers which are even good for anaemina, Dry roasted seeds, green leafy vegses such as spinach. turnip greens colards, peanuts and asparagus.

Therefore I would say you need to take enough, as it varies from individual to individual. Ours situations all differ, your doctor will know best, depending on your situation. Good luck
Old 10-25-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsososo4 View Post
Pregnancy is a very sensitive time to a womens body. Folate also known as folic acid is needed at most even when you do not suffer from Spin Bifida. This vitamin B9 mineral is always recommended that you start taking it even 3 months before you plan on falling pregnant to get your body ready.

Pregnancy supplements and Vitamins are not to be missed as these contain a proper or recommended dose of folic acid. You can also supplement it with foods such as bananas, Yeast extract spread ( marmite), livers which are even good for anaemina, Dry roasted seeds, green leafy vegses such as spinach. turnip greens colards, peanuts and asparagus.

Therefore I would say you need to take enough, as it varies from individual to individual. Ours situations all differ, your doctor will know best, depending on your situation. Good luck

Thanks for the informative words. Yes, right now we are just trying to get through each new challenge. I know that my friend will want more children, and
after how this disorder has touched her life on such a deep level. She is more responsive to being vigilante in the prevention of this in the future with her other children. As long as she maintains a healthy, and get her correct dosage of medication, her chances are pretty high of her next child being born with no issues.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Have you been previously diagnosed with the illness before getting pregnant? If so, it's definitely worth seeing a doctor instead of consulting a forum without a medical professional's advice. They're trained for questions such as this and it's definitely worth taking the time out to go and see them!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:58 PM

I had never given a lot of though to the amount of folic acid I was getting in my diet while I was pregnant, thinking that my multivitamin prescribed from my doc would be enough. I did know that getting enough folate was important, so I made sure that I ate foods with folic acid in it. Both of my children were born healthy and without spina bifida and I thank God every day for it, especially since I suffered from morning sickness for the entire term with both children. I could have easily have had other issues with them due to not getting enough folate.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:43 PM

I only would know that you would need to have enough fruits like grapes, apples, oranges, watermelons, and peaches. Oh I love peaches especially when they are nice and juicy. You can buy fruits from any market of course, but just make sure that they are of good quality. As far as your pregnancy just having that vitamin B you can also get it from veggies and grains.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:02 PM

Default healthy children

Your child can be born with issues even if you have had perfectly healthy children.
I have 3 completely healthy children.
My last child was born with severe brain anomalies.
I did not do anything different from one pregnancy to the next.
Got prenatal care, took vitamins, ate healthy, avoided all the bad stuff.
You do what you can to prevent things, but sometimes things can't be prevented. I love my son like crazy.
But he will have a lot of health problems to come. He is only 3 months old and already nearly died from viral meningitis.

Thanks for listening.