Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Folic Acid & Prevention of Neural Tube Defects > General Discussions

Old 07-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Default How much folic acid should you have?

I was uncertain as to how much folic acid should you have in your diet? I know that foods like apples,oranges, and mangos have folic acid in them. I just am not sure how much should I have in me at any given day. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 AM

Check this article all about folic acid:
http://www.kaahe.org/en/ArabicSample...1/nuff0101.pdf
Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Default How much folic acid you should have.

Most adults should try to get at least 400 micrograms daily, while pregnant women should aim for at least 600 micrograms daily.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Also if you want to know what food contains folic acid have a look at my detailed topic "Food that contains folic acid."
Old 08-27-2014, 07:27 AM

It makes since more for the pregnant women to have the greater intake since they need plenty of folic acid to ensure their newborns don't wind up with spina bifida. This case I am supposed to have 400 micrograms of folic acid in my diet.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:53 PM

You can buy supplements that are specifically for pregnant women to take, and they will contain enough to make sure that the risk of SB is greatly reduced. I think that it is helpful to take these, because it means that you don't have to worry about whether you have enough in the food that you eat or not. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter if you take slightly too much, so I would think that it is better to be safe than sorry. It's just one thing that you have to remember to do each day, and it means that your baby has a lesser chance of having a condition that will affect them for the rest of their life, so it is more than worth it without a doubt.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Well the truth about the matter is that personally i don't believe there is any such thing as too much folic acid in the body particularly when it comes to natural occurring folic acid. In my opinion i would say the body has a way of eliminating excess folic acid if it is surplus to requirement.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit5500 View Post
I was uncertain as to how much folic acid should you have in your diet? I know that foods like apples,oranges, and mangos have folic acid in them. I just am not sure how much should I have in me at any given day. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share.

i never knew there was something like too much folic acid
Old 10-10-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit5500 View Post
I have also been wondering the same thing, what are the adequate amounts or levels of folic acid that we should have in our system.