Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:52 PM
divine

Default is this normal for hydrocephalus

My son got a shunt in October last year.* My questions are

1.* He still wakes up slowly in the morning and staggers a bit, he also has balance problems sometimes.* Headaches, i know the're headaches b/c he rubs his head and sometimes he'll cry.* Is anyone else's child taking dilantin b/c i hve noticed that whenever he is on it he is hyperactive esp. when he gets tired it's like he's tired and he doesn't know that he should sleep.* I know that children with shunts tend sleep more than other children when he does get to sleep it is twice per day for 2 hrs each time or once for the day for abut 3hrs if he sleeps for only an hour when he wakes up or for the rest of the he is off.* I took him to sick kids a while back at the begginning of the summer cus it all started with the beginning of the summer esp the headaches the did a shunt series ex-ray and a cat scan but he was ok.* But a lot of this has continued i just need to know if this is normal. the shunt works great though.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Banned

Dear Taneisha,

Symptoms may vary between children and adults who suffer from hydrocephalus. However, previous to the past two surgeries which I have had,*nothing abnormal showed up on*the CT scan, nor the shunt series or the shuntogram. The neurosurgeon had to change the valve in both surgeries because they were simply not convenient for me.

What I suggest is to observe your son's symptoms closely because shunt complications may sometimes only appear during a surgery. Also, part of the shunt system may not react properly with the patient while it seems to be functionning.

I hope your son's health improves. I send lots of strength!

Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Banned

Dear Taneisha,<br> My son had little problems with his shunt for the last 10 years and then all of a sudden this past year he has what I call episodes that copy a shunt malfunction but his shunt is working fine. Doctors can't explain it. Had all the tests done. Nothing abnormal. So his neuro showed me how to pump his shunt even though it's not the shunt but it seems to make him better. It's very frustrating and hard on everyone but we are trying to cope. So i guess shunts have their own agenda. <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br>