Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 AM

Default Latex Worries and Spina Bifida

Children with Spina Bifida are over exposed to latex products. The constant care that they need
Prompts them to be in the presence of gloved hands. About half of children with Spina Bifida suffer from latex allergy. This may seem like a
minor thing but it can become fatal. The symptoms start as; coughing, wheezing, scratchy throat, itchy eyes, watery eyes, runny nose, skin redness,
hives and rashes.

A medical emergency can happen if anaphylactic reaction to the latex causing anaphylaxis, which when the body goes into shock.
The signs to look for when this occurs are; loss of consciousness, dizziness, confusion, slurred speech,
severe wheezing, Difficulty breathing because the tongue and windpipe have swollen, Severe drop in blood pressure (hypotension), Rapid or weak pulse
Diarrhea, Blue hue of the skin, including lips and nail beds.

This is preventable, and with the other issues that these children have to deal with, let latex allergic reaction not be one of them.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM

I agree that latex allergy is something that many parents wouldn't even consider as a problem and yet many children suffer from it. It's something that can be developed over time and exposure, which puts these kids at a particular risk. Being aware of the problem may help you prevent unnecessary suffering and even death. Find out more about latex allergies and protect your children. If your child does have a latex allergy, don't hesitate to speak up and request that no latex be used around your child. You may just save a life.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:41 PM

I can really see how that can be a problem, especially for the children. I can't believe that they have not found a substance that could be used in gloves and be latex free. More and more people are showing sensitivity to latex so something really needs to be done.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM

I know that should be a priority for them to go and find an alternate material. It just does not make any sense why latex cannot be taken out. Children having to suffer from latex allergies especially if they have spina bifida is depressing.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:27 PM

This is a worry, and I think that it should be something that people look at to find other things that they could use instead of latex. If you think about it, any material that can act as a barrier between doctor and patient would work, so I don't really understand how latex is still really the only option despite this being the case. It is unfortunate, because they will need almost constant treatment, and if not constant then at least regular, so it is important that they are able to find ways around their discomfort.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:35 AM

Smile latex free

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelily99 View Post
I can really see how that can be a problem, especially for the children. I can't believe that they have not found a substance that could be used in gloves and be latex free. More and more people are showing sensitivity to latex so something really needs to be done.
ALL of the products I use ARE latex free and I had a blood test done 2 c if I had the allergy n it came back I don't BUT I can't eat bananas n EVEN the smell of em bothers me
Old 11-13-2014, 02:38 AM

Default latex allergies

I 4got 2 say when I was at a spina bifida camp a cpl yrs ago we had these rap sessions n talked abt different things n THAT'S how I learned that theres a liquid form of latex in different foods such as bananas