Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Default Need Help ASAP! OBGYN Problem!!

I'm so upset and confused!
I had a baby 5 years ago born with SB&H. I was very young and had no idea about foilc acid it's importance. I had the baby put up for adoption and I think of him eveyday. Just 3 weeks ago I found out I'm pregnant and we are very excited! I have been calling around to find a OBGYN in my area but I have been told from EVERY office I have called that I have to be referred by a family doctor ONLY and I have to be at least 11-22 weeks to even be seen! Well I know well enough that SB&H starts very early in your pregnancy and I'm concidered high risk. My other problem is I have very bad morning sickness and can NOT keep down my Materna so I'm not sure the baby is getting the folic acid he/she needs. I just have so many question and no one to ask.

Last edited by MELL; 01-21-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 AM

you need to see your family doctor ASAP.
if you do not have a family doctor go to a walk in clinic.
you do not say where you live....depending upon your location you could also contact your regional health services or even planned parenthood.

sb&h happens with the first 28 days (or so) of a pregnancy, before most women even know that they are pregnant.
were you taking a high dose folic acid before this pregnancy? ideally folic acid (4mg) should be taken at least 2 months before conception and the first 2 months of pregnancy in high risk women.

all that said ...you NEED to see a doctor who can order the necessary tests to determine whether or not THIS baby is affected.
the tests need to be done between 11 and 15 weeks.

you should try taking your materna at different times of day. i could never take them in the morning, i would puke for sure.
try and take it with some toast or something at the point in the day when you feel the least nauseous.

the most important thing that you can do for you and this baby is to try and relax and take the best care of yourself possible.
you need good prenatal care.

sonia
mom to saffi 3 1/2 years old, SB L4/L5, crawler & climber, part time walker, part time wheeler, fulltime princess!
and piper 9 months old, fantastically fun little bean!!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELL View Post
I'm so upset and confused!
I had a baby 5 years ago born with SB&H. I was very young and had no idea about foilc acid it's importance. I had the baby put up for adoption and I think of him eveyday. Just 3 weeks ago I found out I'm pregnant and we are very excited! I have been calling around to find a OBGYN in my area but I have been told from EVERY office I have called that I have to be referred by a family doctor ONLY and I have to be at least 11-22 weeks to even be seen! Well I know well enough that SB&H starts very early in your pregnancy and I'm concidered high risk. My other problem is I have very bad morning sickness and can NOT keep down my Materna so I'm not sure the baby is getting the folic acid he/she needs. I just have so many question and no one to ask.
Good luck...see a doc asap. If you have been taking a multivitamin, you are getting folic acid, but you need to up your folic acid...NOW.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM

I agree. You need to be treated as a high risk pregnancy. Most OBGYNs won't see you until you are further along, assuming it's a normal pregnancy, because they want to make sure that you aren't going to miscarry. However, you need to be managed sooner because there is a possibiity of having a second child with SB. Have you told the prospective doctors about your situation? It might make a difference. If not, see your primary care doctor and ask for a referral.

Tags
high risk, obgyn