Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 AM
neilsend

Smile Shunt patient with Headaches in adults

I have had hydrocephalus for about 10 yrs now! I had a shunt put in July 2008 everything was ok so I thought? In September 2008, I had my shunt adjusted from 1.5 to 0.5 , I got really sick and had to go to the hosiptal? Spend a day their, they did a CT scan and give me morphine for my severe headaches.They sent me home with some T'3's. Went to my neurosurgeon and he put me on Amitriptyline! It took about two to three months before I felt better? In June 2009 I started getting headaches again, I am a lettercarrier, have been off work due to a fracture ankle in June 2008. I was getting ready to go back to work, at conditioning they put weight in my mail bag and the headaches got more severe? My neurosurgeon had a MRI done and they found nothing wrong! I went back to my neurologist and he up the amitriptyline to 35mg and then to 50 mg , along with naprox 250mg. My headaches are disabling,
and I can also feel alot of pressure at the top of my head? Do I need to have a lumbar puncture or ICP monitoring? Is their any other meds that might help?
I am 47 yrs of age and my name is Donna N. Take Care