Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Broken Tech

Question Applying for ODSP

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to as I can't seem to find any information. I was born with hydrocephalus in 1981, and had a shunt inserted. At age 4, the shunt broke and I went into a coma. After having the shunt replaced, I suffered from various psychological problems throughut my life, such as learning problems, memory problems, and fairly extreme OCD, as well as other mild problems with coordination, restriction of movement in my neck, etc. Last year my shunt failed again, and I had to have it replaced once more; since then, my problems have worsened. I find I am struggling day to day. This leads me to my question. I currently have a job, as I need to make money to live, but feel I am really in need of time off in order to get some help. Do I need to quit my job before applying to ODSP? I am scared to quit because I need a source of income.

Thanks to anyone who may be anle to answer this.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
kaushi

Smile

I would suggest explore within your orgarnization before you take any action. find out from your employer if they have any long/short term disability benefits.. if they do, see if you can access it. if they don't have long/short term disability benefits ask them if you can work p/t/reduced hours and apply for ODSP. If above two options are not suitable find out if there is any support availble from your employer. As a last resort I would apply for temp ODSP and ask for income support.
hope this helps
kaushi
Old 10-21-2012, 04:44 AM

Default Odsp

Hi just wondering if you have filed for ODSP yet and how things are going?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:35 PM

If you contact them I would think that there would be some sort of documentation that walks you through the application and appeals process. When I helped my husband apply for social security benefits (not related to SB or hydro) there was a step by step process that walked us through the online application and then what we could expect next, all the way through to a court hearing if we needed one. thankfully it didn't come to that, but anyway, I would contact that office to see if they had something like this to help guide you through the process.