Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 AM

Default Shunt issues/headaches

I have a neice with Spina Bifida who has had nothing but problems after a programmable shunt was put in- She cannot function anymore due to the chronic debilitating headaches. Her neurosurgeon thinks that it is now in her head since everything appears to be working shunt wise- Her headaches are so bad that she cries herself to sleep at night. Does anyone have any recommendations for a top neurosurgeon in the US? I think her Dr has given up on her. She has a ventricular shunt and then a regular shunt that are connected together. She has lost weight from not eating and is down to 77 pounds- We are at wits end and don;t know where to turn........
Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 AM

I am wondering if these children would strongly benefit from medical marijuana. My son gets the headaches also and I try to keep him hydrated at all times as that is supposed to prevent headaches. He says he feels stress and he worries. I really think he would benefit from medical marijuana in the edible form as I won't let my child smoke anything. Do you feel the same way?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM

If you begin to experience side effects from a shunt after it's put in, I would think that there is something wrong with it. Has this person gone back to see the doctor to see if something can be done. To be honest, if I were that person, I would demand that the shunt be taken out. My life might be shorter, but my quality of life would be significantly improved. I can't imagine trying to live life dealing with debilitating headaches all day, every day. It would make living a nightmare.