Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Hydrocephalus Community > Connect with others

Old 05-31-2007, 01:19 AM
Banned

Default Hydrocephalus caused by Hypomagnesia?

Does anyone have any further information about the paper abstracted below? Is anyone aware of any other findings?*My eldest*child has hydrocephalus and I am concerned*because my newborn's head is growing rapidly. I'm wondering if it worthwhile requesting bloodwork to determine magnesium levels and if so*whether I should request it immediately. Thanks for any input! External hydrocephalus in primary hypomagnesaemia: a new finding

Bappal Bhaskera, Palany Raghupathya, T M Rajendran Naira, Syed Riaz Ahmedb, Vasantha deSilvac, Bipul Chandra Bhuyand, Saleh Mohammad Al Khusaibye a*Paediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Child Health, Royal Hospital, PO Box 1331,*CPO SEEB, Postcode 111,*Muscat, Sultanate of Oman, b*Paediatric Neurology, Department of Child Health, Royal Hospital, c*Department of Clinical Pathology, Royal Hospital, d*Department of Radiology, Royal Hospital, e*Neonatology, Department of Child Health, Royal Hospital<BR> Correspondence to: Professor P Raghupathy, Department of Child Health, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, PIN 632*004,*India email: <a target="_blank" href= "mailto:raghu@cmcvellore.ac.in"> color=#0000ffraghu@cmcvellore.ac.in</A> Accepted 28 July 1999<BR>

This paper reports a new finding in two siblings with primary hypomagnesaemia as a result of renal magnesium wasting, namely, rapidly increasing head size. External hydrocephalus and brain shrinkage in primary hypomagnesaemia seen on computed tomography of the brain with reversibility after magnesium treatment has not been reported previously.