Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Question New caregiver

Hello. I am a foster mom to a wonderful 6 year old boy with Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida. My family is in the process of adopting him. We are very new to this and am desparately trying to learn everything I can about his condition so that we can provide the best possible care. His doctor at McMaster recommended this sight. We are in Fergus Ontario. I would love to chat with more moms.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum and congrats. Caring for someone else who has disabilities is a tough thing to do and I think that fostering and adopting a child with these conditions is not only admirable, but inspriational as well. I wish that more people were open to the idea. Anyway, welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of knowledable and friendly folks here who can help you through just about anything you can imagine.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Thanks very much. I look forward to learning all that I can as I venture in to this new chapter of our lives.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 AM

Be sure and check in often and keep everyone updated on how you guys are doing. You're heading down the path of a graet adventure, one that will be filled with plenty of joys, headaches and some heartaches...but it's all worth it. We would love to be able to offer you some support when you need it and be able to share in your journey whenever we can
Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 PM

Hello Dianna! Welcom to the forums of SB&H. Congratulations! I don't have any experience with kids with SB&H, but it will definitely be harder for you to raise him because of his disabilities.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmarianexx View Post
Hello Dianna! Welcom to the forums of SB&H. Congratulations! I don't have any experience with kids with SB&H, but it will definitely be harder for you to raise him because of his disabilities.
Although I wish you the best with your child and good luck.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
Hello. I am a foster mom to a wonderful 6 year old boy with Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida. My family is in the process of adopting him. We are very new to this and am desparately trying to learn everything I can about his condition so that we can provide the best possible care. His doctor at McMaster recommended this sight. We are in Fergus Ontario. I would love to chat with more moms.
I really commend you for wanting to take care of a child with hydrocephalus. I mean what I know is that hydrocephalus is practically water in the brain which I know people who have it need to have a shunt.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Hello,

Congratulations on adopting your new child. This must be a very exciting time for the whole family. I must say that you are doing a wonderful thing, too, because there are so many people who would not want to adopt a child with a health condition because it means that they might have to do some extra hard work in the future in order to look after them, but this obviously isn't a problem with you, and I am sure that the child will be able to thrive under your care.

There is A LOT of information available on this forum, and it's great that you want to learn lots before you're properly thrown into the middle of things.

I hope you are very happy, and that the child can grow up knowing that he has wonderful parents who were willing to give him the chance that he needed!