Home      Members List      Register Now!

Go Back   SB&H Forum > Hydrocephalus Community > Connect with others

Old 01-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Default Delayed development

Hello - I'm new to the forum, but am hoping someone can help me.* Nicholas was diagnosed with mild hydrocephalus at 8 months old.* No shunt was required and the drs watched him monthly until they said everything had resolved on its own.* He is now 18 months old.* He is still not walking or talking at all.* He is not eating finger foods at all - will not even eat anything with any type of texture at all.* He does show dexterity in play, however.* Has anyone else noticed problems with delayed development in their children and if so, how have you dealt with the issues?* Thanks!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Banned

Hi-* My son was diagnosed with Hydrocephalus at 3 1/2.* He always had a larger head but our family dr did not clue in that there was a problem.* Like your son, he does not need a shunt.* But...I can't imagine how the doctors can say that* your son's hydro has*resolved on its own.* I understand that the drainage may be taking care of itself but to me, if the ventricles are increased in size, there will be problems.* It has to effect the brain in some way, no?*it drives me crazy that the drs can't /won't do anything but don't tell us*what potential problems we face either.*With Josh, he did not have any delay with walking or talking.* We did have food issues, where he did not like anything with texture, I just kept trying and eventually he began to eat crackers and farley biscuits.**I believe he went from smooth baby food right to table food because he hated the lumpy baby food.* He is now 6 and*we are dealing with delays in school.* he is in grade one but is having a lot of difficulties.* We just take it day by day and try to make his life as easy as possible.* I'm sorry I was not much help, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:37 PM
bedpancrystal

Hi....I have a son, Darius now age 2, born with hydro, shunted at 2 days old(VP shunt) and is developmentally delayed.He was assessed about a month ago and he is around a year to 15 months old developmentally.He doesnt feed himself, he doesnt walk or crawl and he* is just starting to say a bunch of words.We have physio and speech in place plus we have a child therapist that comes once a month to assess our needs.Im looking at putting Darius in nursery school come next fall so that he can be around kids his own age.He has 2 older siblings(8 and 6).I was wondering if your childs hydro was detected inutero?Darius was diagnosed with hydro at 22 weeks gestation, born at 36 weeks by c-section so he is considered a preemie.He was a big boy tho'.....9lbs 5oz!!!!Well....Darius has a webpage if youwant to have a look at it! <a target="_blank" href= "http://www.caringbridge.org/canada/dariussauve">www.caringbridge.org/canada/dariussauve</A>***** Hope to talk to you again! Crystal-mom to Darius, Hydrocephalus-shunted at 2 days old, revisions x2,dermoid cyst removed from nose(nov2004), craniotomy(dec2004), nystagmus, ACC, developmental delays
Old 03-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Banned

*Hi* My daughter is 5years and 9 months. She is currently going to kindergarden but still has trouble with fine motor movements. She get OCT and speech therapy but its impossible to find a school which will meet her needs at a later stage. She is diagnoised as 12-18 months behind her age. On a day to day basis she is extremely bright intelligent but academically she is slow. What can I do for her at home to imporve her motor skills and do these children even become"normal".*
Old 04-29-2005, 02:56 AM
destiny2000

hi

i have a girl of 5 years old also she has alot of fine motor problems* but is slowly overcoming some of them,....butshe also has autism and spina bifoda....so she has 3 times the problems she hydroceph.. also

at home i get her to try to use her pointer finger as much as possible..like on keyboards ..playing games..pushing buttons of any kind,even if you have to do it hand over hand t first but she'll get the hang of it ....my daughter's school is postive she'll learn how to use the computer quite well.so i'm very optimistic..our kids are special and very much normal.........destiny's mom....keep the faith and practise practise practise........keep smiling

Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 PM

Yes, my child has developed very slowly. He's only six years old but I can tell that everything is going to proceed at an incredibly slow pace. He seems slightly autistic. It took until 4 years old for him to talk consistently and he really didn't form his words. He hardly gives eye contact or wants to socialize. And he is very sensitive to light, food and touch.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM

My nephew was diagnosed with mild hydro and was not shunted either. He does well in terms of speech, though I think he's a little behind. And he struggles a bit in school (he goes to a mainstream public school). He did have a lot of issues learning how to control bladder and bowel movements, though he is doing ok with it now. I think that he's just a little slower to catch on than his sister or my kids, but I don't think that he's lacking in any way. He definitely was eating, talking and walking and such at appropriate times, just maybe a little slower than we might have expected.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landerson View Post
Hello - I'm new to the forum, but am hoping someone can help me.* Nicholas was diagnosed with mild hydrocephalus at 8 months old.* No shunt was required and the drs watched him monthly until they said everything had resolved on its own.* He is now 18 months old.* He is still not walking or talking at all.* He is not eating finger foods at all - will not even eat anything with any type of texture at all.* He does show dexterity in play, however.* Has anyone else noticed problems with delayed development in their children and if so, how have you dealt with the issues?* Thanks!
It amazes me me on how doctors sometimes take it lightly, and this action sometimes leads to complications,one of the things you could do is invest in a theapist as early as this and try to change doctors, I hope all goes well and gets better.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:31 AM

I get amazed with doctors as well they say that your not going to make it when a miracle intervenes in that picture. Hope your child gets better later on in life.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM

I find it unusual that they said that your son's issues resolved on their own. I was not aware that this could happen. Is there any chance that you could get a second opinion on the issue? Because I don't feel as though you're getting the full truth here, and that is a shame because it is something that could affect the development of your child. You may well find that your son develops slower than others, however it is important that you do everything you can to encourage him to reach his milestones. Pay plenty of attention to him and help him, and you will find that he does get there, even though it might well be a little slower than other children.