Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Chances of SB occuring later in later

Spina Bifida yes is a birth defect and is normally detected when pregnant mother go for their routine checks or scans when they are screen for several other disorders. Reports have shown that quite a large percentage only realise they have a disorder later on, but that is normally in cases where the disorder is mild.

Do you think there are situations where it was not there initially, then it was developed later onn, especially in cases where the mother might have it. Do you think Genetics could have a role, where the trait was recessive when the parent was pregnant and then upon the child growing up it become dominant or visible?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 AM

I think genetics is the culprit. It is hard for people to see it that way sometimes I feel, but yes it is pass through the genes from parent to child. The three main types of Spina Bifida are: Myelomeningocele, Meningocele and Spina Bifida Occulta.

The first one, Myelomeningocelem is the most occurring form, and the most serious one, which can be the most debilitating. With Meningocele there is minor disabilities present. Spina bifida occulta is the least obtrusive of this disorder. This particular one can be developed later on in life. This condition does not cause any disabilities.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 PM

I have seen this pop up more and more often. It seems that milder forms of SB can mask its presence for many years, only to be diagnosed much later in life. I often wonder if my nephew, who has diagnosed hydro, might have SB hiding somewhere. He has many symptoms of SB, but no diagnosis. Is there a way to make doctors test for such conditions?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM

It could be related to many factors just any number of other diseases still have risk factors or causes that are still unknown. Could it be environmental or related to chemicals in the home or the food we drink. For many years we were sold the bill that processed and fast food were good for us but in reality they are not.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsososo4 View Post
Spina Bifida yes is a birth defect and is normally detected when pregnant mother go for their routine checks or scans when they are screen for several other disorders. Reports have shown that quite a large percentage only realise they have a disorder later on, but that is normally in cases where the disorder is mild.

Do you think there are situations where it was not there initially, then it was developed later onn, especially in cases where the mother might have it. Do you think Genetics could have a role, where the trait was recessive when the parent was pregnant and then upon the child growing up it become dominant or visible?
I too read reports saying that it can come up too for adults which is a scary situation. This is why I go here and try to get as much info as possible.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM

There is always going to be chances of SB.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM

It very well could be related to genetics but it could also have the environmental component. Hard to say at this point but I am sure that they are working hard at trying to find the cause.

Tags
recessive traits