Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned

Default Bowel movement

Dear Members:

I wish to do research and/or learn from experienced parents on bowel movements for young children.

Our son is almost 5 years and I wish to find out more on different methods or procedures plus, confirm the practice here in Norway.* Currently, we are very active using manual methods twice a day but this is done at home.* As you know, this is the age where other children are aware of those who wear diapers and have accidents, etc.

Any direction or thoughts appreciated

Regards

Old 08-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Banned

Default Bowel movement

Hi Jim,

* My son is 7 and has gone through the same issues.Last year I took him to Toronto Sick Kids and had what is called a Chait Trapdoor inserted.Now every two to three days he has what is called an irrigation.He sits on the toilet and a special trapdoor on his stomach is opened and a tube inserted and then it is like a iv bag that fluids such as enemol.Then a salt water solution is put through about 15 minutes later.He is not out of diapers yet but accidents have now been prevented in school and such.You can contact Helen Richards at Toronto Sick Kids ( I know it's in Canada) 1-416-813-1500 and ask for her.Hope this helps.I know that my son's confidence since having this procedure done has raised immensely.

Sherry Simon

Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 PM
D.Owevy

Default Bowel movement

I cant have a bowel movement without laxatives since surgery. I am 12 1/2 weeks out and have only had 1 bowel movement since surgery without laxatives.

Boy, that pretty much sums a delicate situation up in a few words

Has anyone else ever experienced this? HELP
Old 09-22-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
Hi Jim, <br/><br/> * My son is 7 and has gone through the same issues.Last year I took him to Toronto Sick Kids and had what is called a Chait Trapdoor inserted.Now every two to three days he has what is called an irrigation.He sits on the toilet and a special trapdoor on his stomach is opened and a tube inserted and then it is like a iv bag that fluids such as enemol.Then a salt water solution is put through about 15 minutes later.He is not out of diapers yet but accidents have now been prevented in school and such.You can contact Helen Richards at Toronto Sick Kids ( I know it's in Canada) 1-416-813-1500 and ask for her.Hope this helps.I know that my son's confidence since having this procedure done has raised immensely.<br/><br/> Sherry Simon<br/><br/>
I am glad the Chait is working for you. For some children the Chait does not work, and a colostomy is tried. This sounds horrible, but it actually makes bowel movements easier to deal with in many cases. My goddaughter had one for many years.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 PM

My cousin had the Chait operation and it has worked for him. He would be very humiliated before. Now he feels more self assured and confident. I hope you find something that will work for you.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Oh wow. I know that my nephew has had some type of surgery that has to deal with digestion or something since from birth he's had trouble eating/digesting and keeping things down. I know that he has regular issues with constipation, so I can't believe that he might have had this surgery, but from what I am seeing here, he might benefit from something like this. I guess I need to ask my brother if they've thought about it. As for his consipation bouts, he often uses laxative suppositories to get things moving.