Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Amnada

Default Latex Allergy

Has anyone had their child tested for a latex allergy?
Any suggestions about how to latex-free the house ow what to watch out for - I've printed off the Latex List but its pretty daunting.

Amanda
Mom to Nickolas (Nov '09 S1 SB&H, shunted) and Katheryn (big sis)
Old 03-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default latex allergy

Hi Amanada,

A latex allergy for a person with sb can be a serious condition if they are exposed to rubber products through repeated surgeries, diagnostic tests and examinations and bladder and bowel program. Make sure all health professionals are aware your child has sb and you would like non-latex materials used during any treatment/surgeries etc. Try to avoid exposure to items with latex as much as possible and request a latex allergy test from your health care providers to determine if he has a sensitivity to latex.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:00 PM

My niece has a latex allergy. Is it me or are these allergies becoming more prevalent in the new generations of babies being born? I don't remember all of these allergies being around when I was a youngster. So my niece will have issues during visits to doctors offices and most of them use some sort of latex products.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniornoah View Post
My niece has a latex allergy. Is it me or are these allergies becoming more prevalent in the new generations of babies being born? I don't remember all of these allergies being around when I was a youngster. So my niece will have issues during visits to doctors offices and most of them use some sort of latex products.
Many people have latex allergies. If doctors or hospitals know about latex allergies, they will be sure that the patient's room or the surgery ward will be latex free.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorigh View Post
Many people have latex allergies. If doctors or hospitals know about latex allergies, they will be sure that the patient's room or the surgery ward will be latex free.
Yes, this is true. Make sure that you put it on your hospital paperwork before spending any time in a hospital room. I wish you well, Lorigh. Thank you for chiming in.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:59 AM

This is big concern for spina bifida children. They get an over exposure to latex gloves, with their constant medical care. This can become incredibly dangerous, if not
known that the child is allergic. Of course the way to limit, or stop exposure especially in hospitals is with latex free gloves. Trying to also be aware as to the latex
products in your own home, would serve to make life a little less stressful, and to keep down the potential hazards of a bad allergic reaction.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM

I have never had my children tested for latex allergy and I don't believe that my brother, who's son is hydro, has ever had him tested, but I would think that with the regular exposure, that would be testing enough? Of course you can develop allergies over your lifetime, so what you aren't allergic to today you might be tomorrow, but no, I haven't had anyone in my family tested for latex allergy.

Tags
latex