Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 PM

Default Methods to cope from day to day

What are your strategies to get through the difficult days with you child that has hydro? Are certain seasons more difficult for your child than others? How do you stay positive on a daily basis? Has anyone considered seeing a therapist to assist with the mental health component?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 AM

Default coping

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniornoah View Post
What are your strategies to get through the difficult days with you child that has hydro? Are certain seasons more difficult for your child than others? How do you stay positive on a daily basis? Has anyone considered seeing a therapist to assist with the mental health component?
It is difficult to stay positive on a daily basis when dealing with a chronic condition of any type. See if there is a support group around you that you can go to, and yes...if you think talking to a therapist would help you... then by God, you should go.

I went to one for a while two years ago after my Dad had a debilitating stroke...because I just couldn't handle one...more...thing. And she helped.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorigh View Post
It is difficult to stay positive on a daily basis when dealing with a chronic condition of any type. See if there is a support group around you that you can go to, and yes...if you think talking to a therapist would help you... then by God, you should go.

I went to one for a while two years ago after my Dad had a debilitating stroke...because I just couldn't handle one...more...thing. And she helped.
How did she help? What kinds of things did you talk about that lifted your spirits? I find it a little difficult to open up to anyone, especially someone that I do not know. I think I would prefer to speak with people who are experiencing pain similar to mine. At least I know that they could identify with me and could offer practical, solid advice.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniornoah View Post
How did she help? What kinds of things did you talk about that lifted your spirits? I find it a little difficult to open up to anyone, especially someone that I do not know. I think I would prefer to speak with people who are experiencing pain similar to mine. At least I know that they could identify with me and could offer practical, solid advice.
Junior, if that is the case, I would contact the doctor or the hospital who you deal closely with and ask her/him of a name of a counselor they could refer you to who has experience dealing with your issues.

In my case, I went to someone who a) had experience dealing with survivors of sexual assault and b) dealt with caregiver children.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM

Default try to stay positive

Yeah it is challenging to stay positive but it is important to do so. Sometimes going to a group who discuss this problem will help a lot. There you will find people who have same issues as you and it will be possible to come up with long lasting solutions.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 PM

It is difficult and challenging to stay in the positive when dealing with this. Therapy is a good support. Spending time to research to find the right therapist is important. You and your child will need to have good connection with this person so that you can get the most out of your sessions. A doctor you trust would be a good resource to help you to finding someone that may be a good fit for you. Stay strong and stay positive.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 PM

On the days when I keep my nephew and the days are bad, we try to just cuddle up and work it out. There are some days when he is just inconsolable, but these are rare. For the most part, he's a happy go lucky kid that has a few bad days here and there. Being the fact that I am not his primary caretaker, the odds are even less that I get to be around him when he's not at his best. But we try to do what we can to minimize the effects of the bad day. I let him set the pace for the day. If he just wants to watch TV and be quiet, I let him. If he'd rather be more active, then I encourage it.