Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 08-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

Default Learning Problems

to grandma,just wanted to let you know and anyone else that i have a group supporting prople/childrenand babies with hydro.please anyone feel welcome,we are a great group of caring people and parents so if anyone wants any extra help or support we are always there.type in** <a target="_blank" href= "http://groups.msn.com/HYDROCEPHALUSTALKSUPPORT">http://groups.msn.com/HYDROCEPHALUSTALKSUPPORT</A>************ YOU WILL FIND US*THERE

Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Banned

Connected

Hi my name is Rebecca and I am from Sault Ste. Marie, ON.* I was diagnosed with Hydro when I was 8 yrs old after my family Dr. failed to diagnose me and my grade 2 teacher pointed out to my parents that I was different from the other children.* I never really had any real problems after I had my shunt operation.* My only problems are that I have poor balance (can't ride a bike or skate) and just recently in the last 2 yrs or so developed a short term memory problem which is my biggest aggrivation.* It is now affecting my job.....I work as a receptionist in a well established chiropractors office.* My co-workers and office manager are aware of my problem but still are frustrated with me.* It is hard to be reminded of my disability day by day.* I feel I am doing pretty good considering I am 25 yrs old and have a 3 yr old daughter, however my memory problem has been a significant burden and it gets quite depressing sometimes.* Can anyone offer me some advice or reassurance?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

I have trouble with short term memory and have had since I was about 12 years old.* I have found my long term memory on the other hand is somewhat above average.* When studying for exams, I could remember history dates or geography facts better if I could put them to music or poetry.** Although, not an honor roll student, I did make it thru a 3 year Accounting and Finance college course and spent ten years working in the accounting industry fairly successfully.* I just write myself a lot of notes.* Music is an interesting study though as pieces I learned to play 20 years ago I can still play note for note without requiring any music.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:45 AM

Default learning disabilities

My adult daughter was diagnosed with Non-Verbal Learning disabilities after she left high school by a psychologist in London Ontario, because the Learning Disabilities Association wanted to get her involved in one of their programs.

The six hour examination came through with this diagnosis. Learning disabilities are genetic and sometimes inherited.

Approximately 15 years later she was in a car accident where it was discovered that she has Arnold Chiari Malformation 1 with syrinx.
Surgery for the ACM but no shunt for the time being.

I will leave "no stone unturned" in order to get help for my children.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 PM

My son also has issues with his long term and short term memory. We've tried medications as well as memory exercises but he is always focused on the current moment. It is really frustrating and disappointing. If anyone has any memory improvement techniques please post them as I am sure that my family would not be the only one to benefit from the knowledge. Thank you.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 AM

Default short term memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccajp View Post
Connected <br/><br/> Hi my name is Rebecca and I am from Sault Ste. Marie, ON.* I was diagnosed with Hydro when I was 8 yrs old after my family Dr. failed to diagnose me and my grade 2 teacher pointed out to my parents that I was different from the other children.* I never really had any real problems after I had my shunt operation.* My only problems are that I have poor balance (can't ride a bike or skate) and just recently in the last 2 yrs or so developed a short term memory problem which is my biggest aggrivation.* It is now affecting my job.....I work as a receptionist in a well established chiropractors office.* My co-workers and office manager are aware of my problem but still are frustrated with me.* It is hard to be reminded of my disability day by day.* I feel I am doing pretty good considering I am 25 yrs old and have a 3 yr old daughter, however my memory problem has been a significant burden and it gets quite depressing sometimes.* Can anyone offer me some advice or reassurance? <br/><br/>
Hi Rebecca, not sure where you are but have you thought about getting some help (if you are in America) under the ADA? That would offer you some protection job wise. Also here is a link for memory issues. Hope this helps.

http://www.healthcentral.com/alzheim...memory-memory/

http://www.bindependent.com/hompg/look/memstart.htm
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 AM

Is it a learning problem or maybe just an issue with the fatigue and the headaches making the kids lackluster about learning? My nephew is extremely bright and seems to be doing well, however his grades and performance on benchmark tests seem to be lackluster. This doesn't seem to jive with me since I know that he knows the material. But it just seems as though he's disaffected sometimes, like he just really doesn't care. I just wonder if personality disorders go along with hydro or if this is just a side effect of the other symptoms.