Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

Default VP Shunt & Abdominal Pain?

I had taken my 3-yr-old daughter to the hospital today because she was complaining of*a "sore tummy" and was rubbing the area where her scar is from her VP shunt.* She was saying that it hurt "very bad" which is not like her.* I was concerned that maybe something was going on with the end of the tube that empties the CSF fluid into the abdominal cavity.* Turns out by the time we got to the hospital, she was fine of course but I still had a doc look at her.* Difficult to say if it was anything or not as children aren`t the greatest at explaining their hurts.* Does anyone ever experience any abdominal pain or discomfort that could be attributed to the shunt?* Thank you, Amy

Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 PM

My son often used to rub the side of his abdomen where his shunt track was. We attributed it to growth spurts - any tissue that had grown around the tubing was getting "stretched" as he grew, leading to some discomfort (sorry, I'm not explaining it very well, I can't quite remember exactly what our ped said about it).
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
heather9509

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Emma View Post
I had taken my 3-yr-old daughter to the hospital today because she was complaining of*a "sore tummy" and was rubbing the area where her scar is from her VP shunt.* She was saying that it hurt "very bad" which is not like her.* I was concerned that maybe something was going on with the end of the tube that empties the CSF fluid into the abdominal cavity.* Turns out by the time we got to the hospital, she was fine of course but I still had a doc look at her.* Difficult to say if it was anything or not as children aren`t the greatest at explaining their hurts.* Does anyone ever experience any abdominal pain or discomfort that could be attributed to the shunt?* Thank you, Amy <br/><br/>
I knew someone who that happened to. I would just keep an eye on it but also make sure the drs are doing everything they can and doing their jobs correctly and checking every possible solution.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobryan View Post
My son often used to rub the side of his abdomen where his shunt track was. We attributed it to growth spurts - any tissue that had grown around the tubing was getting "stretched" as he grew, leading to some discomfort (sorry, I'm not explaining it very well, I can't quite remember exactly what our ped said about it).
Yes, the exact same thing happens to my son. I brought him to the doctor and he said there was stretching due to expansion of the body in that area. So, you are correct. Don't worry, youdid a good job explaining it. It explains the abdominal pain.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:56 AM

With the abdominal pain, is there any generalized gastric distress? My nephew, even when he was a baby, always had trouble keeping down food and always complained of a sore belly. He's 5 now and still complains of stomach distress after he eats...which doctors have said is completely unrelated to his hydro, but the more I read, the more I'm not so sure that this is the case. I am starting to believe that there is a connection after all.