Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 08-01-2003, 07:02 PM
divine

Default Parent-coping day to day

Hi I am a 24 yr old mother my son has hydrocephalus.* It's hard to type this message for the mere fact that I have to relive the whole thing.* He was diagnosed with Choroid Plexus Papillomas in sept of 2002 they removed the tumor and hydocephalus remained he now has a shunt.

My son is now two yrs old.* I have been going through denial that he has a disability because it is not entirely physical.* we have good days and bad.* He is also on dilantin and has to have blood work a minimum of 4 times per month.* On bad days i get a lot of crying, and he apparently has headaches as he rubs his head quite a bit he sleeps a bit also, with sleepless nights, he falls a lot.* but no day is complete without the waking up and bl;ank stares.

I feel like I am going crazy with all that is going on.

I am glad I found this foundation as now i know there are others out there that understand what i am going through.

thanks to all those that read this.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default Parent-coping day to day

Good day Taneisha,

First of all, thank you for replying to my message. I*have*physical weaknesses*on my right side: my right leg is crooked,*my coordination skills*are poor and I have very little balance. I have struggled*while learning physical activities. Although, today I can swim, ski, play golf and bicycle ride.

A person with a disability will struggle along the way, but must learn never to quit and reach for the stars!!

Old 09-22-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemay View Post
Good day Taneisha,<br/><br/> First of all, thank you for replying to my message. I*have*physical weaknesses*on my right side: my right leg is crooked,*my coordination skills*are poor and I have very little balance. I have struggled*while learning physical activities. Although, today I can swim, ski, play golf and bicycle ride. <br/><br/> A person with a disability will struggle along the way, but must learn never to quit and reach for the stars!!<br/><br/> *<br/><br/>
You are right. I have seen many of my students struggle with a disability, but accomplish so much more than they thought they could.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorigh View Post
You are right. I have seen many of my students struggle with a disability, but accomplish so much more than they thought they could.
Yes, I am in total agreement. My son has hydro and has accomplished much much more in his few years on Earth than any of us would have imagined. We are so proud of him. Never give up. Always shoot for the stars. If you settle for nothing now, you'll settle for nothing later.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniornoah View Post
Yes, I am in total agreement. My son has hydro and has accomplished much much more in his few years on Earth than any of us would have imagined. We are so proud of him. Never give up. Always shoot for the stars. If you settle for nothing now, you'll settle for nothing later.
I have a student with hydro. He speaks two languages.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorigh View Post
I have a student with hydro. He speaks two languages.
Well good for him. I am proud of you and him. How many students do you have with hydro? Is it an entire class full?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 AM

Default Always talk to someone

It is important to talk to people who might be in the same situation and see how you can cope up with the issue. Talking to someone helps ease the tension and most importantly the pain knowing there is someone who can listen to you.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 PM

This is a struggle that we are all enduring together. I know it is difficult but, it is still comforting to know that you can come this forum, and speak to others that are
going through a similar experience. If you ever feel like it is too much, you can rely on us, that we will always be there to encourage you and to keep you from feeling alone.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Have you ever attended a physical support group (not online) to vent your emotions at all? I understand it may be hard to say it all but quite often the presence of other people in the same situation can help you to cope with everything. I know this thread is from 2003 but if you're still reading this, I strongly recommend finding a local support group
Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 AM

Being a new mom is tough enough, but dealing with a child with special needs can be extremely taxing. and it's important that you recognize this as there is a lot going on in your life. You need to find a way to get some "me" time for a few minutes each day in order to keep your sanity. I don't know where you are, but you should also locate some support services in your area. They can not only provide a positive outlet for you to share your experiences and find support, but also get some tips and suggestions regarding how to handle certain situations. Good luck to you.