Home      Members List      Register Now!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default There’s any hope?

My son is 28 months and had already 24 shunt revisions.* 4 others surgeries on top of that for a total of 28 surgeries.* We don't see any hope that a shunt will works more than a month*at the time.* Now he has 2 shunts (VP and LP).* There's anyone has experience with an LP* shunt (Lumboperitonial shunt).* We don't see the end of it and it is very depressing.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:53 PM
Banned

I understand how you feel because I have had twenty-one surgeries in the past thirteen months. This includes nineteen shunt revisions and two other surgeries were done to externalize my shunt. I have a V-A shunt since December. Before that, I had a V-P shnut. After a revision, I could be headache-free for a period as short as one hour, and for a period as long as two months and a half. My last surgery was five days ago, and up to now, I did not had one single headache. Although, my right arm and shoulder hurt. Usually when that appears, the headache follows later. The neurosurgeon does not understand why. There are some patients that have pain in the neck, but not in the arm and shoulder. The last surgery was done to insert two ventricular catheters (one for the ventricles and one for the cyst that I have in my brain), which form a "Y", and both catheters are connected to a valve, followed by an anti-syphon device, which is then followed by a distal catheter that ends in the heart.

Even if I have had many revisions in a short period of time, the neurosurgeons who take care of me I still consider incredible because they promised not to give up on me. So, if ever you do want their names, as well as the name of the hospital, to get a second opinion, let me know. I would love to help you in any way that I can. I heard about one patient, that was treated by the same team of neurosurgeons, who had complications for three years. Today, several years later, he is healthy, has a great career, is married, and is a father.

Take care, and do not give up hope! The brighter days will come! Do not heistate to e-mail me at <a target="_blank" href= "mailto:minniemay31@hotmail.com">minniemay31@hotma il.com</A> .

Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Banned

Thanks for the encouragement Minniemay. We really appreciate it. I'll hold on to your email address.* We've been feeling pretty much alone these days. I hope your condition stablizes. Here's hoping for brighter days !!!